Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

What is the difference between Inbox Encryption and Guard?

7028514 shared this question 20 days ago
Need Answer

- What is the state of encryption is I use Guard without Inbox Encryption?

I mainly read my emails with Apple Mail on MacOS and iOS and would like my emails to be encrypted on the servers, readable only by myself. What options should be ticked to attain this goal?

Comments (2)

photo

I'm not an expert here (I'm just a user), but if I understand your question correctly, once you activate the Guard (see here and here), you need an email app that can deal with PGP encryption. Apple Mail just can't, as far as I know.

On macOS, you can use Thunderbird in combination with the add-on Enigmail, which works perfectly for me. Note that the latest version of Thunderbird includes openPGP support without the need for Enigmail (I haven't tested it yet though).

On iOS, there are two alternatives: CanaryMail (works well for me) and iPGMail (I haven't tested it). CanaryMail has a trial version of the full version, but it also has a free version (which is enough for my needs). iPGMail doesn't have a trial version, but costs only around 2€.

See also https://www.openpgp.org/software/ (somewhat outdated, at least for the prices).

All in all, this is a big weakness of Mailbox.org: it has great features using the web interface, but they offer no tools to use these features offline (neither for the encrypted mailbox nor the encrypted cloud). That's really a shame - hopefully they will consider it soon.

photo

Thanks! I did try to contact the support with the very same question, but they redirected me to the Guard and Encryption hep page that I already read, but did not help to resolve this question

photo

The support is usually quite helpful, but they sometimes just don't understand the question. Of course, this is not entirely their fault - asking a technical question is difficult too, and language can be an issue as well. And I guess the more you're into development, the more difficult it becomes to understand the users ;)

But I'm glad I could help!

photo