Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

Separate Passwords for IMAP & SMTP

1015495 shared this idea 3 years ago
Proposed

Hello,

While I use 2FA for logging into webmail, it concerns me that I have to use my main account password to access IMAP / SMTP on 3rd party clients. Another email provider I have used has an option to generate specific passwords that are used for IMAP and SMTP server acccess respectively, keeping 3rd party access a little bit more secure.

I would like to see mailbox.org integrate this option - have a separate password you can generate for IMAP access or SMTP access only, so that you don't have to use your main password to access the servers from 3rd party clients.

Thank you.

Replies (5)

photo

Also, there are different ways mailbox.org can implement this:

• Different set of passwords for each email aliases so you can use your email alias as username. Some software systems use the smtp username as the TO email header. So you can use the email alias "alerts@mydomain.com" as an smtp sender for a certain software without disclosing your main email "me@mydomain.com"
  • Totally different usernames and passwords for each email aliases. So that "alerts@mydomain.com" will have fG5Rs!jL008 as username and "me@mydomain.com" will have Hve8^@b0944 as username.
  • Totally different usernames and password, regardless of email alias. However, this will allow a username to send email as any other alias.

photo

This is true for CalDAV as well. If you want to sync a calendar or contacts, you need to use your main password. A better way to do this is having app specific passwords.

photo

Is this something that will get implemented soon? Otherwise I will have to look for another SMTP provider, since I can't leave access open to my whole account just for the client that should be able to send mail.

photo

That's something many are waiting for since a few years...

I would not believe that it will be introduced soon (if at all)

photo
photo

Yes, this is really necessary. I can't understand why this hasn't been implemented already (fastmail has it...)

photo

Would love to have this too! 🙌

photo

Have a look at the end of this thread - mailbox.org Support is giving an answer, that it will come 'soon': https://userforum-en.mailbox.org/topic/1522-will-mailbox-org-implement-app-passwords-someday

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file