Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

Reason for prolonged registration (sign up) maintenance?

7593399 shared this question 23 days ago
Need Answer

Registration has been disabled for about two months with a message that says "We apologize, but for maintenance work the registration of new accounts is currently blocked. Please check back later."

Why has registration been disabled for so long? What type of maintenance is being performed?

Best Answer
photo

In the last 2 weeks we have received some floods of mass registrations, so for self-protecting reasons we had to disabled some network areas for registration. We're sorry if you are located in a blocked network, but we do have to protect our network against those attacks. I just re-enabled registration, so feel free to register.

Replies (3)

photo

This is the same issue I've encountered for weeks and I've seen another post about this issue on another forum.

I contacted Mailbox support yesterday and their response was that there is no problem with registration.

Update: Just received the following message from Mailbox support:

"Due to a high spam volume from different regions of the world, some regions have been temporarily blocked for new registrations. At the moment I cannot say when this ban will be lifted again.

Currently, registration only works from North America or Europe.

A way to circumvent this is using a VPN connection to Europe or North America.

Another option to register is to use the TOR browser with an exit node within Europe.

Please be advised that when using TOR some customers have reported they have to complete the google captchas repeatedly.

Have a nice day!"

I already reside in one of those regions but was still affected by the ban. Using my VPN to connect through a server in Frankfurt did work. Strangely, connecting through a server in Switzerland also resulted in the ban message.

photo

Thanks for passing that info along. My friend is using a residential connection in one of the allowed regions, but still gets the maintenance message.

I did some testing from an EC2 instance (a virtual machine hosted in Amazon's AWS cloud). Using Google Chrome I was able to see the real registration page, but with Firefox I got the maintenance message. Both browsers were connecting from the same exact IP address.

So it seems that the anti-spam algorithm is checking multiple factors (location, browser user-agent, browser headers, etc) and being overly aggressive. :(

photo

Looks like the registration page is now available to (some?) browsers/IPs that previously showed the maintenance page. Thanks to whoever on the MBO team fixed it.

photo

It appears that the problem isn't resolved or has reappeared.

Just received a message from someone encountering the same problem. I tried the signup page using LibreWolf and Firefox, both times I received the blocked registration message. Once I switched to a server in Frankfurt the problem was resolved.

By any chance are using UBO? I'm wondering if it might be something in a filter list causing the problem. I ran a scan using Blacklight, which didn't find anything sketchy, as expected.

photo

Yes, my friend and I are both using UBO on Firefox and Edge. We aren't using UBO with Chrome or Safari. All four browsers are able to access the registration page after the mysterious change last week. (Whereas, previously, only the Chrome browser from an EC2 instance could access the page.)

That's frustrating that some people still can't access the page. :(

photo

In the last 2 weeks we have received some floods of mass registrations, so for self-protecting reasons we had to disabled some network areas for registration. We're sorry if you are located in a blocked network, but we do have to protect our network against those attacks. I just re-enabled registration, so feel free to register.

photo

Thank you! :)

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file