Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

Policy violation #242

6097217 shared this problem 10 months ago
Published

I am currently getting the following 'Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender' message:

<email.address.com>: host

mout-p-202.mailbox.org[2001:67c:2050:0:465::202] said: 554 5.7.1 REJECT -

policy violation - too many different display names used - code #242.

(support-id: idnumber) (in reply to end of DATA command)

These are responses to automated emails being sent from our website - where we have used our mailbox.org email address and enabled users to enter their names, which we injected into the email Display Name.

Following the error, we amended the code on the website to ensure that different names were not being injected into the email headers, however no emails are being sent from the mailbox at all now. We are getting the above error message in response to every email sent.

I am not sure if this has something to do with the account we are on (Light), or there was a violation which has triggered action against the account in general.

Any help greatly appreciated

Replies (2)

photo

Well, don't use too many display names! :-) How many users share a single Light account? What*s the purpose of the account? Business?

photo

Thanks. Not "business" as such - we have a temporary campaign website where people can send an email to a campaign target. All of the emails come from the same mailbox address, but we were altering the display name to include the name of the signatory. Our workaround was to include the names in the "Subject" line. I was just wondering what the actual limits, policies were on Display Names for future reference.

Restrictions that were placed on the account, assuming this was due to the suspected violation, have been lifted and we can send emails again.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file