Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!
 

Unable to receive e-mail from Gmail on custom domain address

2134711 shared this problem 24 days ago
Published

Hello everyone,

Since yesterday I can't receive e-mail from Gmail users on my custom domain address.

SPF, DKIM and DMARC configured correctly.

My fear is that we can't implement MTA-STS policy and Google use a "strict" mode rather then "testing".

Everything works with other providers.

This problem happens only on custom domain address, because I can receive e-mail on mailbox.org address.

Any help/advice?

Best Answer
photo

Google's mta-sts enforce setting (https://mta-sts.gmail.com/.well-known/mta-sts.txt) should not be the cause here.

You are talking about incoming e-mail messages into mailbox mx on custom@example.com), not into Gmail, so check your own mta-sts settings.

You can use https://www.mailhardener.com/tools/mta-sts-validator and https://www.mailhardener.com/ dashboard to check what is going on with your own custom domain.

You claim that you do not have a MTA-STS policy implemented, yet the e-mail screenshot implies that the domain had such a policy published once upon a time. Be aware of the memory effect. Did you move it?


16 days have past since you started the topic. Most likely it is no longer a problem since the policy cache has expired; just be aware that mta-sts is configured in 2 places: a file via https: and dns records.


If it is no longer an issue for you, maybe it might help others.

Comments (6)

photo
1

I'm further investigating and can confirm the issue is on MTA-STS side.

This is the response a Gmail user get when trying to reach me:


97180c16f986233a4dabbe6893bbdaf7

Anyone with the same issue?

photo
1

I just tried to send a message from gmail and it's working fine (i'm using custom domain with mailbox),

photo
1

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment I don't have MTA-STS policy implemented for my custom domain.

Did you implemented it? I don't have a VPS anyway.

photo
1

No, I have not implemented mta-sts policy.

honestly i don't know what your problem could be, sry.

photo
photo
2

Google's mta-sts enforce setting (https://mta-sts.gmail.com/.well-known/mta-sts.txt) should not be the cause here.

You are talking about incoming e-mail messages into mailbox mx on custom@example.com), not into Gmail, so check your own mta-sts settings.

You can use https://www.mailhardener.com/tools/mta-sts-validator and https://www.mailhardener.com/ dashboard to check what is going on with your own custom domain.

You claim that you do not have a MTA-STS policy implemented, yet the e-mail screenshot implies that the domain had such a policy published once upon a time. Be aware of the memory effect. Did you move it?


16 days have past since you started the topic. Most likely it is no longer a problem since the policy cache has expired; just be aware that mta-sts is configured in 2 places: a file via https: and dns records.


If it is no longer an issue for you, maybe it might help others.

photo
1

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the issue is in my MTA-STS policy file. The setup is correct, but I was trying GitHub pages to host a simple website and the subdomains here are handled differently, especially for the https redirection.Then I found a guide of another GitHub user that accomplished that task and just followed step by step.

Thank you for the policy cache reminder. I completely forgot that the number in the txt file is actually the expiration time.

photo