Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

Will Mailbox.org implement app passwords someday?

5014849 shared this question 17 months ago
Answered

A lot of modern email service providers have app specific passwords that can be created and revoked at any time.

This allows people to turn on 2FA on their account, and use app passwords to log into programs such as K9 Mail, Fairmail, Thunderbird, etc.

Will Mailbox.org be implementing this in the near future?

Best Answer
photo

I didn't see the setting and was going to ask you where exactly with a screenshot. So I switch the language to English (I set it to German because I'm trying to learn the language, so I try to get immersed more) and..... there it is! Now I see the setting as well! (Edit: it's also present in the German translation, the page reload is what must have done it.)

More precisely, it's under Settings -> Security (not account security) -> Application Passwords. This link should also work I think:

https://office.mailbox.org/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/settings&folder=virtual/settings/appPasswords&storeLocale=true

Thanks for the hint Maximus :)

Replies (10)

photo

I was wondering the same! According to help section 12.6 it's possible to do this, but the actual setting seems to be missing. I'm on the old 1-euro plan so maybe that's the reason?

photo

We have a business plan from 2022 or maybe early 2023 and I also do not see this option.

Does anyone see this option at all or are the help files plain wrong?

photo
photo

Please!

photo

This would be a very welcome addition to the service. I hope they are considering it.

photo

+1 on this!

Like many, I let various 3rd party calendar apps use my CalDAV calendars. For this, I currently have to provide my full mailbox.org credentials.... this is not safe

photo

It is a shame, that this feature is still not available.

Mailbox is warning in its blog about the current security issue, since it was made public that the new outlook from Microsoft is copying the login credentials of imap accounts into their cloud.

Unfortunately it is not app specific, so I can’t revoke it. Now I have to change it in all my clients.

photo

I'd really appreciate this as I am currently using a cumbersome setup with a dummy GMail account, which has an app password (which you cannot login using), so that my VPS status emails are sent from the VPS to GMail, which forwards to my Mailbox.org account.

I'd prefer to be able to use a simple SMTP-only app password on the VPS, in case it ever gets hacked (not likely, but never say ...).

photo

I cannot use MS Outlook anymore with my mailbox at mailbox.org and it seems this is due to the absence of app passwords. So please provide the feature asap.

photo

This does not make any sense at all.

photo
photo

I really hope that this feature gets added soon. This is the only service that I use that I do not have 2FA turned on, because if I turn it on, I would not be able to use IMAP. This causes a lot of insecurities. App passwords and being able to revoke them at any time would help with the security.

photo

App password with the possibility to revoke it is a must have nowadays. Pls get it implemented very soon.

photo

As of today, I'm seeing this option under settings, account security, for the first time. Have not tested it out yet. Anyone else have this option?

photo

I didn't see the setting and was going to ask you where exactly with a screenshot. So I switch the language to English (I set it to German because I'm trying to learn the language, so I try to get immersed more) and..... there it is! Now I see the setting as well! (Edit: it's also present in the German translation, the page reload is what must have done it.)

More precisely, it's under Settings -> Security (not account security) -> Application Passwords. This link should also work I think:

https://office.mailbox.org/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/settings&folder=virtual/settings/appPasswords&storeLocale=true

Thanks for the hint Maximus :)

photo

I can confirm that it has also appeared on my end as well under the security tab.

Great news!

photo

It seems that for now only WebDAV, CalDAV/CardDAV are supported. But IMAP/POP3 are still missing.

I hope this will come soon.

A pity that there doesn't seem to be any communication about this feature from the staff in this forum.

photo

Useless as long as imap / smtp is not supported :-(

photo

I've tried using it with DAVx⁵ and it doesn't appear to work yet, I'm getting permission errors. I suggest staying hands-off until an official announcement is made.

photo

Hi,

and thank you all for your comments and your input, we really appreciate it. We always try to listen to our customers and of course we try to accomodate the feature requests that reach us. In the case of app passwords we have started a silent launch, because we do not yet support IMAP/SMTP, as you noticed. We are still working on it and we hope that we will be able to release that feature soon.

Have a nice weekend and happy holidays!

Your mailbox.org team

photo

Nice. Really looking forward to IMAP/SMTP integration.

You need beta testers for this feature?

photo

I'm happy to beta test as well :)

photo

Having an early access program would be wonderful!

photo

Terrific! A separate app password for XMPP would be really great.

photo

So far CalDAV app password seems to be working well, cannot wait for future developments on this feature!

photo

@mailbox.org Team: Is there any update concerning release of the feature for IMAP/SMTP?

photo

hi team ... any news on this topic (IMAP/SMTP app PW) ? Any roadmap?

photo

Looks like 'soon' can take another several months or years...

photo

I appreciate the team working on this feature, but I have an application password security question I haven't received a clear answer on. Maybe someone here in the forum can help?

1. Does every Mailbox.org user have a unique application password user name (ie 1234567@1234567) or do all users have the same application user name (with only a different password)?
  2. If all users have the SAME application user name, how is using an assigned shorter application password more secure than the traditional login method (seeing as how the default auto-generated application password is short and more easily brute forced than a longer, complex one created by the user)? Wouldn't application passwords be an easier attack vector, especially since there is no 2FA? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Even with Mailbox tasks, calendar, and contacts being unencrypted by default (a purposeful privacy and security liability in favor of greater usability), I'm struggling to understand what security benefits application passwords bring users in light of my above questions. I'm not an expert and asking honestly, so anyone with insight on this, please chime in. How is this better than the current login system (besides providing login time and IP info)?

photo

Hi, from my perspective the biggest security improvement with application passwords is: that if an attacker gets this password he has only access to your mails.

When he currently gets your credentials he has access to your whole account, not just the mails.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file