Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

Custom phone number label on contact not supported

2514798 shared this problem 13 days ago
Published

(I put this under calendar category because there isn't one for contacts)

I want to add phone numbers with a custom label to contacts.

The mailbox.org ui only offers a specific list of phone labels like "phone (business)" and "phone (other)". I want to use my own labels since just "other" is simply not sufficient. Modern contacts apps let you enter all the custom labels you want, but trying this in mailbox.org contacts results in the number not being visible in the web ui and probably not in export/backup either.

Can support for custom labels be added? Surely carddav provides "freeform" entries, and it should even work cross-app since it just needs to show the label as-is.

I'm looking for competitors with more modern ux than mailbox.org's outdated gui, but all of them lock down access to contacts or calendar (tuta, proton), have similarly old gui (posteo), don't support custom labels, etc. :(

Replies (2)

photo

I have the same problem, and it's not even a documented. When I migrated to mailbox.org, I had a very difficult time figuring out why phone numbers were missing. There should at least be a warning of some kind when such a phone number is not displayed.

Unfortunately Nextcloud contacts cannot be used with mailbox.org.

photo

Currently looks like I'll migrate to fastmail. Mailfence and mailo looked promising in general but neither supports custom labels. Fastmail lacks tasks in calendar but I really only need email, contacts and normal calendar to be from the same provider so it's ok.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file