Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!
 

SPF Softfail (=spam)

nuc shared this problem 30 days ago
Published

I have my custom domain set up to use mailbox.org as a email service. My email address is "nuc1eon@neonsys.org".

I have set up DMARC and SPF according to the mailbox.org docs.

But recently I send an email to an address and received back a Google report, which reports a "SPF softfail". I have attached the detailed XML report provided by Google in that email.

I have therefore checked my email (nuc1eon@neonsys.org) with multiple online tools. Here are the results, eg.: https://mecsa.jrc.ec.europa.eu/en/finderRequest/32b5082f5e192a8ab57237e0549e9cfd or https://easydmarc.com/tools/spf-lookup?domain=neonsys.org here. However according to all reporting tools that I have tried, my SPF record is set up correctly.

My set up is like this:


MX	neonsys.org	mxext2.mailbox.org	600	10	
MX	neonsys.org	mxext3.mailbox.org	600	20	
MX	neonsys.org	mxext1.mailbox.org	600	10

TXT	neonsys.org	v=spf1 include:mailbox.org ~all	600
I also have the DMARC entries set up, but not publishing here, since I don't think they are relevant here. DMARC is reported as "passed" in the Google XML report.

I don't understand why Google has classified my SPF settings as "softfail" (=spam). Also I don't know how I can debug this, since all online tool' that I have tried are reporting positive results.

I would be grateful for help.

Replies (2)

photo
1

I have the same problem with my setup, with spf and dkim suddenly failing.
One domain outright rejected my mails and Amazon and Google started to send me quarantine reports.

photo
1

Your spf record ends with ~all, which means softfail. You could switch it to -all, but ~all is best practice when combined with DKIM and DMARC (see https://www.uriports.com/blog/spf-dkim-dmarc-best-practices/). Your DMARC says p=none. It should be p=quarantine or p=reject. And you don't have DKIM configured, which you should also correct.

Leave a Comment
 
Attach a file