Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

Timeout

Jonathan Summers shared this idea 53 days ago
Completed

Within the last month mailbox has started to require me to log in to my account multiple times during the day. Before mailbox allowed me to stay logged in almost permanently with just the occasional request.

This is new and I find that it is a very tiresome.

Is this practice new or something that I should vary to suite my circumstances?

Replies (5)

photo

I would love a configurable setting here. I understand that corporations may want to limit the web session expiration timeout, but as an individual I would like to login no more than every 2 weeks (preferably 4 weeks). Yes, I understand the security implications of a persistent authentication cookie that sticks around that long, and yes, I would like to make that decision myself.

photo

Hi John,

Thanks for your comment and I am delighted to know that I have someone else who agrees. Just between us though I think there may be someone "up there" who read my comment because the logout time does seem now to be a little longer. Perhaps I imagined it.... hmm..........

photo

A great feature of Mailbox.org is the ability for the user to control many settings. Would it be too much trouble for users to select their preferred length for the timeout?

photo

Did I just find the setting I thought I was missing? Yet I was signed out after about 24 hours without clicking logout. Hmm, I'll have to pay more attention.bfc0747bc8c29f18b66ae0bcea61ca48

photo

Auto-logouts still occur after a few hours, even though I have it set to never sign out.

photo

1. Even if you chose "never", the lifetime of our cookies is limited. So rather expect it to be a couple of days than forever, please.

This is due to security considerations.

2. If you delete cookies on a regular basis automatically or manually, our cookie lifetime does not withstand the ruling of the browser. So please check your browser settings. Once our cookie has been deleted, you have to log in again.

Hope this helps.

photo

Thank you for the response! Still, the suggestion here is to let the user (me) decide my tradeoff between security and convenience.

1. What does "Automatic sign out: Never" mean?
2. Yes, understood that the browser ultimately controls the cookies.

photo

Does the timeout occur more frequently when inbox encryption is enabled? I just had two timeouts in roughly 3 hours. Each timeout happened after locking the computer and returning 30 minutes to an hour later.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file