Welcome to the mailbox.org user forum!

"E-mail" > "Filter Rules" missing on only one of my devices

Ellie shared this problem 3 months ago
Solved

On one of my devices, "E-mail" > "Filter Rules" shows up just fine in the settings: see device1.jpg/first photo.

But on my other device, the "E-mail" settings section has no "Filter Rules" menu. The rules still get applied on incoming e-mail, I just can't edit or see them: see device2.jpg/second photo.

I failed to find out why this is. Did I do something wrong, perhaps I activated some other setting that hides this without realizing? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies (1)

photo

Please note that in the mobile version of the mailbox.org website not all options are available.

You may either switch in the browser to the desktop view or only change rules on the first device.

Of course, using the desktop view on a mobile device with a tiny screen may be tedious.

photo

This isn't a mobile system however, and I poked around some more:

1. The detection seems to be based on how much of the mailbox website fits on the screen at the time of login. Most notably it seems to ignore the user agent which means people on desktop may be entirely locked out from those rules with no obvious recourse. This also means that a desktop view may not help, e.g. I'm already using a desktop browser. I don't think I can make the view any "more" desktop.

2. There seems to be no obvious indicator that any hiding is going on, some options are just silently missing seeming like it's a site error of some kind.

3. When I trick the mailbox website to show the options at that very same scale factor seen in above photo, they seem to fit on the screen just fine. It seems like the detection may be too sensitive.

4. When changing the scale the options also don't reappear on the fly. Instead, it seems like it's necessary to log out, then make sure the site opens at a tinier scale and logging in again. This seems like an accessibility problem, possibly locking out users with poor eyesight and large default UI scale out of realistically working around this.

Couldn't you just show the options with scrollbars? Sure it would be "tedious" but at least it would work, wouldn't it?

My apologies if I missed something or observed something incorrectly. I hope this can be addressed some day, especially that there seems to be no obvious way to make the options reappear even when adjusting scale.

photo

Since the "switch to desktop view" doesn't work, I don't really think this question is solved. My apologies if this is a misunderstanding. I continued inquiring about this here: https://userforum-en.mailbox.org/topic/2286-e-mail-filter-rules-missing-on-desktop-devices-when-browser-window-is-considered-too-small

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file